(äp′i dən) of a town; urban         (ver·dure) flourishing greenery

Oppidan Verdure is a self-published quarterly plant guide that I distribute for free at coffee shops and bookstores. Original illustrations are created on paper with machine embroidery and pen/ink. Words are mine unless otherwise stated.

I conceived of Oppidan Verdure while living in brooklyn, ny, in order to unify my art- making and gardening. As I visit new places and move through seasons, spending time with plants is a way for me to deepen my sense of place and align myself with nature’s cycles.

This is a very personal project that I made public in order to connect with the overwhelmingly large crowds of strangers I encountered daily in the city. It is my hope that by dispersing droppings of these booklets, I will engage in an anonymous dialogue about urban greenery and enhance the plant consciousness of my community.

May we cherish this land and help ensure its vitality.

Paulownia tomentosa (Empress Tree)

this introduced asian tree is a self seeding pioneer and concrete buster often seen growing in alleways and abondoned lots. last years seed pods and next springs' flower buds can be seen on the same branches during the winter months. a purple haze of flowers emerges before leafout. leaves are large and heart shaped.  new growth has white horizontal dashes. tomentosa refers to the fine matted hair present on the flower buds. becasue of its invasive charactor it is no longer sugested for garden but should be appreciated for its tenacity within the urban context.