(äp′i dən) of a town; urban         (ver·dure) flourishing greenery

Oppidan Verdure is a self-published quarterly plant guide that I distribute for free at coffee shops and bookstores. Original illustrations are created on paper with machine embroidery and pen/ink. Words are mine unless otherwise stated.

I conceived of Oppidan Verdure while living in brooklyn, ny, in order to unify my art- making and gardening. As I visit new places and move through seasons, spending time with plants is a way for me to deepen my sense of place and align myself with nature’s cycles.

This is a very personal project that I made public in order to connect with the overwhelmingly large crowds of strangers I encountered daily in the city. It is my hope that by dispersing droppings of these booklets, I will engage in an anonymous dialogue about urban greenery and enhance the plant consciousness of my community.

May we cherish this land and help ensure its vitality.

Asclepias syriaca (Milkweed)

A native perennial, with opposite oval leaves that emit a milky white sap when broken. Sweet smelling clusters of purple flowers become a summertime hub for an assortment of pollinators, shelter seekers and predators. Be like a moth and find them by their intensified nocturnal scent.  Milkweed is the fodder for the larva of the migrating monarch butterfly. This cooperative community yields a self-rupturing seedpod that sends feathered seeds across a windswept field. Milkweeds also reproduce asexually through underground rhizomes. All parts of plant are edible-cooking will decrease bitterness.

I dream to one day see this plant growing alongside mugwart in a “vacant” city lot.