(äp′i dən) of a town; urban         (ver·dure) flourishing greenery

Oppidan Verdure is a self-published quarterly plant guide that I distribute for free at coffee shops and bookstores. Original illustrations are created on paper with machine embroidery and pen/ink. Words are mine unless otherwise stated.

I conceived of Oppidan Verdure while living in brooklyn, ny, in order to unify my art- making and gardening. As I visit new places and move through seasons, spending time with plants is a way for me to deepen my sense of place and align myself with nature’s cycles.

This is a very personal project that I made public in order to connect with the overwhelmingly large crowds of strangers I encountered daily in the city. It is my hope that by dispersing droppings of these booklets, I will engage in an anonymous dialogue about urban greenery and enhance the plant consciousness of my community.

May we cherish this land and help ensure its vitality.

Fraxinus americana (White Ash)

A north american native tree growing to around 70 feet. Leaves are opposite pinnate (feather-like), dark green on the top and lighter on the bottom. They can be distinguished from green ash by their relative lack of hair. Small, wind-pollinated flowers turn into clusters of dangling samaras (seedpods) in July. Foliage turns maroon/dark reddish green in the fall. White ash is a pioneer species, establishing itself on fertile, abandoned fields. In an urban environment, they are suitable as a yard, street or roadside tree.