(äp′i dən) of a town; urban         (ver·dure) flourishing greenery

Oppidan Verdure is a self-published quarterly plant guide that I distribute for free at coffee shops and bookstores. Original illustrations are created on paper with machine embroidery and pen/ink. Words are mine unless otherwise stated.

I conceived of Oppidan Verdure while living in brooklyn, ny, in order to unify my art- making and gardening. As I visit new places and move through seasons, spending time with plants is a way for me to deepen my sense of place and align myself with nature’s cycles.

This is a very personal project that I made public in order to connect with the overwhelmingly large crowds of strangers I encountered daily in the city. It is my hope that by dispersing droppings of these booklets, I will engage in an anonymous dialogue about urban greenery and enhance the plant consciousness of my community.

May we cherish this land and help ensure its vitality.

Asimina triloba (Pawpaw Tree)

Although it is often associated with the midwest, the range of this native fruit trees stretches from florida to western new york state and west to nebraska. small understroy tree (20'tall) with large smooth ovate (egg shaped) leaves. small burgandy flower appears in april giveing way to nutricious fruits akin to bannanas or custard. full of calcium, iron, magnesium and compounds known to inihibit the growht of mammalian tumor cells. smaller size and tolernace of some shade makes it sutitable for the city. 


Pickin' up paw-paws; put 'em in a basket.

Pickin' up paw-paws; put 'em in a basket.

Pickin' up paw-paws; put 'em in a basket.

Way down yonder in the paw-paw patch.