(äp′i dən) of a town; urban         (ver·dure) flourishing greenery

Oppidan Verdure is a self-published quarterly plant guide that I distribute for free at coffee shops and bookstores. Original illustrations are created on paper with machine embroidery and pen/ink. Words are mine unless otherwise stated.

I conceived of Oppidan Verdure while living in brooklyn, ny, in order to unify my art- making and gardening. As I visit new places and move through seasons, spending time with plants is a way for me to deepen my sense of place and align myself with nature’s cycles.

This is a very personal project that I made public in order to connect with the overwhelmingly large crowds of strangers I encountered daily in the city. It is my hope that by dispersing droppings of these booklets, I will engage in an anonymous dialogue about urban greenery and enhance the plant consciousness of my community.

May we cherish this land and help ensure its vitality.

Hamamelis vernalis (American Witchhazel)

a meium to large schrub which provides a sweet breath of frangrance in the dead of winter. orange to deep red to yellow flowers appear in winter on naked branches. this midwest native is not to be confused with the east coast Hamamelis virginiana which blooms in the fall. thick, scalloped, obovate (egg shaped with narrown end at base)leaves turn golden yellow in fall with some dead brown foliage remaing on the plant throughout winter.